Delgany has been home to a community of Carmelite Nuns since 1844. Due to an historical need, a National School with places for 200 was opened at the Monastery in 1846. Teaching is not a normal activity of a Carmelite Monastery. However, due to prevailing circumstances, the nuns became the teachers. The average attendance was 70-100. The charge being 1 penny per week “for those who could afford it”.
The school remained open until 1896. A new Monastery was opened in 2005.The Church was built in 1851 and opened on the Feast of St. Teresa on October 1st 1853. For more information on Carmelite Monastery please go to useful links on the right hand side.