delgany Village
home page Walking Trail Historical features Walks and Wildlife things to do in the area places to stay and eat whats on Find Delgany and contact us

Old Burial Ground

The Old Burial Ground is an early Christian settlement dating back to the 7th century. Delgany’s medieval relic, a monumental high cross stands here, head missing, standing granite shaft with inscription of a prayer survives.

The ruins of the 13th century church, which was used until 1789 and the baptismal font can still be seen. St. Moghoróg, a contemporary of St. Augustine, is reputed to have had a religious cell here in the 6th century. It is recorded that he attended St. Kevin on his death bed in Glendalough in 618.

Tombstones throughout the burial ground, all ranging from the 1700’s are mostly in limestone and Wicklow granite and all tombstones face east and are easier to read at 12 noon.

 

For more information on the Old Burial Ground please click here. Sorry this link will be updated soon

HOME PAGE - WALKING TRAIL - HISTORY- OTHER WALKS - THINGS TO DO - PLACES TO STAY AND EAT - WHATS 0N - CONTACT US - FIND US - ACKNOWLEDGMENTS

This site is designed by Sheena Gogarty and to view the design service go to: www.webdesignerwicklow.com