Delgany has been home to a community of Carmelite Nuns since 1844. Due to an historical need, a National School with places for 200 was opened at the Monastery in 1846. Teaching is not a normal activity of a Carmelite Monastery. However, due to prevailing circumstances, the nuns became the teachers. The average attendance was 70-100. The charge being 1 penny per week “for those who could afford it”.
The school remained open until 1896. A new Monastery was opened in 2005.The Church was built in 1851 and opened on the Feast of St. Teresa on October 1st 1853.