A Medieval castle possibly dating back to the 9th century although no datable finds have been made to confirm this. The castle appears to have been occupied into the 18th century. Excavation also established that the south and west walls represented a replacement wall built in the 19th century. Kindlestown has connections back in 1020 with Ugaire, son of Douling, King of Leinster and Citric, Norse King of Dublin. In September 1649, Cromwell arrived. His soldiers stayed in Killincarrig Castle. The locals stole Cromwell’s favourite horse which enraged him, this being easily achieved. He stormed off to Kindlestown Castle and ransacked it.