Originally 2 thatched houses; they were built in the early 16th century and joined in 1773, on 12½ acres of land. It was once known as ‘The Delgany Inn’ and later ‘Glenowen’. The roof was changed to slate early in the 1900’s.
The house faces north, all principal rooms to the rear enjoying south and east facing views over the sloping gardens. Sir Walter Raleigh, the man who brought the potato to Ireland, stayed in the house. The most recent occupiers, the Gainsford St Lawrences family, maintained a magical garden on about three acres plunging downhill to Three Trout Stream.
The garden use to be opened to the public on two weekends a year. The house is believed to have two benign resident ghosts, a lady in black lace and a gentleman in grey.